Sunday, July 26, 2015

Cosmopolitan Pool Deck Fire

A fire broke out at The Cosmopolitan Bamboo Pool on Saturday, July 25, 2015. Artificial palm trees and cabanas reportedly caught fire after a lit cigarette was allegedly discarded from a balcony above the pool deck.

Smoke from the poolside fire could be seen throughout the Las Vegas valley. Thankfully the fire did not result in any deaths. One person was reportedly hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

The Bamboo Pool and other areas of the hotel were temporarily closed, but damage appeared to be relatively minor and could have been much worse. Cosmopolitan's other two pools (Marquee Day Club Pool and Boulevard Pool) were not affected and remain open.

Fires like this bring back memories of the tragic MGM Grand (now Bally's) fire in 1980 that took 87 lives and caused stricter fire regulations to be adopted in Las Vegas hotels. The last major fire at a Las Vegas hotel was at the Monte Carlo in 2008.

John Wells on YouTube captured this dramatic footage of the Cosmopolitan pool deck fire: